Re: [Gnu-arch-users] config command idea

From: John Arbash Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] config command idea
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 17:14:04 -0600

Robert Anderson wrote:

I often have phone/chat/email conversations that go like this:

Guy: "I'm having problem X with your software that I checked out
of the repository."
Me: "Which configuration did you build?"
Guy: "Which what?  Oh, I don't remember.  Y, or maybe Z.  How do
I check?"

At which point I usually go over to their office and take over
the keyboard.

I think there needs to be at the very least a command "Is this
directory consistent with configuration X" which means "for each
directory listed in config X, does the tree-version match that in
the config."  This is robust with manual tweaking, unlike leaving
some kind of dropping somewhere when a config is built.

What you'd really want is "what config(s) is this set of trees
consistent with" but that seems harder.

Bob

Well, can you do:

tla cat-config --snap $configname | diff $configname -

Or I prefer
tla cat-config --snap $configname > ,tmp.cfg ; vimdiff $configname ,tmp.cfg

Naturally you can insert your preferred diff program.

This doesn't handle the case where the projects have been modified.

I agree that there could easily be a nicer program/command that lets you
inspect the current configuration and compare it to something else.

Just something that iterates over the items in a configuration and
reports differences, etc.

Perhaps something like

tla check-config

The output could be something like:

Dir             Config                                              Actual
./src/tla       address@hidden/tla--devo--1.3                   patch-13
./src/hackerlab address@hidden/hackerlab--devo--1.3--patch-12   <same>

There are differences [there are no differences]

if there are differences the command should return nonzero, if no
differences it should return 0.

My idea for the Actual column is that only the difference from the
config should be shown. You could print out the whole string, but that
makes it hard to read.

There could even be a less verbose mode that leaves out the "Config"
column. And an even less verbose that only prints out things that are
different.

tla check-config --no-config
tla check-config --only-changes

I also wish that tla had a "tla update-config". Right now I just use the
tlatools "tla-update-config" script, which works well enough.

John
=:->

PS> Has anyone else noticed that if you have a really large config (we
have 85 projects), tla build-config can fail after a while because "fork
is temporarily unavailable". It seems to happen while it is forking sh
(to run gpg) to check signatures. This is with a fresh build-config and
nothing in the revlib, so there could easily be thousands of signature
checks. Re-running build-config isn't really an option, since it moves
existing directories out of the way. Hence at least one need for
"tla-update-config".