Re: [Gnu-arch-users] umask and permissions

From: John A Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] umask and permissions
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 14:59:58 -0600

Colin Fox wrote:

Hi, all.

I'd like to configure things such that when I update my archive, the new
update in the archive has the flags rwxrwx---, or even rwxrws---. I've
got my umask on my work machine to be 007, and the same on the archive
machine, but I'm getting rwxr-s---.

Can anyone suggest anything? This may sound offtopic, but I'm trying to
work with a few developers on the same archive, and if I commit
something, they're not able to update unless I go into the archive and
manually override the permissions. We're all in the same group (devel),
so that's what I'd like to use to control access.

Is the file mask being set by sshd (this is an sftp access archive), by
the source machine, the archive machine, or something else?

Thanks
~  cf

I think it is a mix of the system settings and ssh. On my archive machine I have in /etc/profile
if [ `id -u` -gt 99 ]; then
   umask 002
else
   umask 022
fi

So that everyone who uses that machine gets a default umask of 002 (unless they are a service). This isn't optimal for some machines, but it works for mine.

I assume you set your umask in .bashrc (or it's equivalent). I don't think that is loaded by sftp.

Have you checked this page?
http://wiki.gnuarch.org/moin.cgi/Centralized_20Development

It offers a few solutions. One involving using a simple shell wrapper around sftp to set the umask before calling the real sftp. Another one is to use a custom ssh-key for arch, which automatically runs your wrapper script instead of sftp.

I'm guessing one of the permutations will work for you.

John
=:->