Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: umask and permissions

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: umask and permissions
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 23:11:09 -0500

Matthieu Moy wrote:
Aaron Bentley <address@hidden> writes:

See "Using shared SFTP archives set g+ws without patching SSH"

I don't see how this is supposed to work.

g+ws will force the created subdirectories to belong to the specified
group, but it won't give it the +w bit.

sftp is essentially a command. The wrapper sets the umask before running the command.

So, I guess any user will be able to create a new directory in a
directory existing at the time you did the chmod (typically, create a
new revision in an existing version), but scenario like the following
are forbidden :

A creates category foo
B creates the branch foo--bar
A creates the version foo--bar--0

I don't recall exactly, but I think if you set the archive's parent directory g+s, all new categories and branches get g+s.

or "Using multiple accounts, a group, and a sftpd-wrapper without
changing global configuration"

I suppose the sftpd-wrapper requires to be root, which is not allways
possible.

I believe that's an incorrect assumption. They note on the page that it even works with SourceForge.

Aaron