[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Making --setup default in tag and import

From: Mikhael Goikhman
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Making --setup default in tag and import
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 20:14:15 +0000

On 07 Feb 2005 11:13:36 -0800, Tom Lord wrote:

> If the archive then changes, we have a consistency problem (and a
> fairly deep one with potentially quite nasty consequences).
>
> There can not be an officially supported "undo in the archive" operation.
> That's an absolute constraint.  Sorry.

As a theoretician, I am fully satisfied with your answer (I didn't really
expect the other one). As a practician, I would however wish Tom to
rethink this and allow the users to take the consequences wish they so.

But even if we leave the undo idea alone, and let the user just tweak the
archive manually to cleanup some unintentional tags/commits, the question
still remains. Many think that archive-setup and make-* commands are
redundant. So maybe remove them and rename --setup to --yes-I-confirm-it?

Regards,
Mikhael.