Re: [Gnu-arch-users] how to fix a bad log message?

From: John Arbash Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] how to fix a bad log message?
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 13:14:25 -0600

Kevin Geiss wrote:

hi all,

I star-merged some stuff from one tree to another, used tla
log-for-merge to create a log entry, and committed the merge.

then went on to do other stuff.

that's all fine, BUT, I forgot to edit the log created by tla
log-for-merge before committing, so now when I run 'tla logs -s' I get
an empty summary message for patch-12! I can see the log-for-merge
output using tla changelog or tla cat-log, but it's still a bummer.

is there a way I can edit the log message for patch-12? I don't want
to change anything else, just the log message. (i already have patches
13 through 15 committed too, I don't want to change those)

thanks.

Well, if you only want to change it for "tla logs" and don't worry about
"tla revisions", then you *can* just edit the file in
{arch}/cat/cat--branch/cat--branch--version/patch-logs/patch-12

tla logs just outputs the contents of the patch-logs in the current
working directory.
tla revisions connects to the archive and prints the ones out from there.

I don't really like changing patch-logs, but it is possible. As far as
the archive goes, that's a lot more difficult. I won't really describe
how to do it, since you could corrupt your archive by editing it.

John
=:->

PS> For the dev list, the "log" file is just an optimization, could it
be edited without causing problems, as long as you re-generate the
checksums and signatures?