Re: [Gnu-arch-users] those pesty .#blah emacs symlinks

From: Karl O. Pinc
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] those pesty .#blah emacs symlinks
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 23:32:02 +0000

Matthieu Moy wrote on Fri, 30 Apr 2004 08:16:37 +0200
"Robert Anderson" <address@hidden> writes:

Or perhaps they just want to commit without saving, and without a
multi-step process to subvert a safeguard that they don't want.

Then, commit without the --strict option.

Broken links are just a warning and don't prevent you from commiting.

No, but "bad" files keep you from committing.

$ tla commit -s 'Remember to update docs' -- ../TODO
These files violate naming conventions:

db/functions/#_interpolate.m4#
db/functions/.#_interpolate.m4

These symlinks point to nonexistent files:

db/functions/.#_interpolate.m4

I want a couple of changesets going at the same time,
without having to have separate source trees, for
those quick little fixes you remember in the middle of things.
I figured I could get around arch limitations by
simply not saving my files when I make a quick fix,
and going back and saving them later because emacs
will remember for me that I want to do that.
But arch gets in the way by not recognising
emacs's disaster recovery files.
Yes, as mentioned before, I _could_ tell emacs that
the file isn't really changed, and then save it later
after I do the commit to get my changes to disk.
Or I could turn off emacs disaster recovery, probably.
But why should I have to hack to support a hack,
particuarly one that could lose my data should my
brain not remember all the housekeeping?

Arch should just ignore emacs's #foo# files.
I'm afraid to tag them as 'junk' for
fear arch will erase them or something.

Karl <address@hidden>
                -- Robert A. Heinlein

P.S.  As I was not on the list when the discussion started
I don't know that the threading will be right as I just
used the same subject and got the quote from the list
archives.