[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Re: How to recover my work after a failed update?

From: Matthieu MOY
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Re: How to recover my work after a failed update?
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 16:57:34 +0100 (CET)

David Allouche said:
> On Sun, 2005-02-27 at 13:56 -0800, Lyle Brulhart wrote:
>> Thanks,
>>
>> It has worked perfectly!  in my case:
>>
>> tla redo ,,undo-1
>
> Just "tla redo" would have done it, by the way.
>
> Also, that's something that you should never have to do.
>
> Rationale: you should commit your changes before updating,

Err, you just can't. If you need to "tla update", it means your tree is
not up to date, and you're not allowed to commit.
Arch encourrages decentralized revision control, in which "update" is
replaced by other merge operators (star-merge, replay, apply-delta ...)
so, your rationale should be
"Rationale: you should not use update and commit your changes before merging"

I wouldn't completely agree with this either: One of the strenth of arch
is to allow both centralized and decentralized development. Some people
may have good reasons to keep a centralized branch. (I have: I'm working
on two different machines, both having access to the archive, but none
being able to access the other, and I use commit/update to synchronize
them. It's much simpler than branching each time I change of machine)
--
Matthieu