Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Creating a Project Tree for an Archive on a Remote

From: John Arbash Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Creating a Project Tree for an Archive on a Remote Machine
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 19:30:14 -0600

Daniel Hedge wrote:

I don't really know why you would be getting "revision lock error". It
seems to me like your commands should be having a problem with creating
the "test--etc--0" package. By default, tla does not create new
categories, branches, etc. To get that, you need to supply the "-S" or
--setup flag.

Thanks :-D i was wondering about that.

There is some talk about the default changing, but that's the way it is
for now.

Revision lock sounds like you started to create the same package at some
other time, but quit before you finished. And then later on tried again,
which found the old incomplete transaction lying around, and refused to
start it again.

It is possible i have been doing some pretty funky things to arch
testing out it's capabilities. Mixing and matching configurations and
ways of relating types to each other .. i am trying to understand the
full nature and limits of each level of arches organization. Some
files may have accidentally persisted. I will check that out.

You can always do:
tla lock-revision -b address@hidden/test--etc--0
(where -b stands for "break").

Which machine would i do this on? (i would assume Test1 but knowing as
little about how this all works as i do i don't trust my assumptions)

Any machine with write access to the archive registered should be fine.

You only need the "-l" flag in your "make-archive" if you are planning
on exporting your library over HTTP. In general it is advised not to use
it unless you need it.

Ahh, i had read somewhere that if you want sftp to work properly when
transferring you must enable listing in the archive.

Yeah, it's http, not sftp. (HTTP doesn't do directory listings, so you
have to create them yourself.

John

Thank you for your advice i will try to put it to good use in my next
round of testing.

Good luck. You might check out the bazaar project
(http://bazaar.canonical.com). It is designed to have a little bit
friendlier interface. Make sure you get the development packages for
libneon, such as neon-devel. Bazaar requires it as a system package, and
doesn't detect if it's missing (at least the last time I built bazaar.)

John
=:->