Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Bazaar 1.3 preview

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Bazaar 1.3 preview
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 11:06:15 -0500

David Allouche wrote:
On Fri, 2005-04-01 at 01:09 +0000, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:

I didn't try baz 1.3 preview, but I would like to know about the status
of several issues.

1) Don't you think "tree-id" command is misnamed? Use "tree-rev" name
if you feel "tree-revision" is not short enough (I don't feel so).

I concur.

Yeah, me too. Though as I've mentioned, tree-rev is misleading too, because it's really the comparison revision, and your tree may be utterly different from that revision. More like tree-last-revision.

2) The flat-revision subdirectory structure in ~/.arch-cache leads to
huge directories, this is not scalable.

The arch cache doesn't list directories, so the O(n^2) directory listing time on certain silly filesystems doesn't affect it. In what was is it not scalable?

Is not version/patchlevel
structure more balanced

For my money, it doesn't solve anything. There are archives with thousands of revisions per version, and archives with huge numbers of versions.

And of course, it's no help at all for archives with one version.

and more consistent?

The Cache was there first.  Why should it be the one to change?

I agree, the arch-cache hierarchy should use versions containership
because:

      * the cache hierarchy groups revisions by archive names, so there
        is already a coupling with the namespace hierarchy.

The reason there's an archive directory and a revision directory is because a slash is used as a separator in fully-qualified revision names, and I didn't feel like pika-escaping it.

      * just grouping revisions by archives leads to too big
        directories, that's not a good use filesystem storage.

If you really want to solve the too-big directories issue, you'll need a more sophisicated approach than just splitting the revision name off the end.

Baz hackers?

Aaron
--
Aaron Bentley