Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Bazaar 1.3 preview

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Bazaar 1.3 preview
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 15:40:33 +0200

On Sun, 2005-04-03 at 18:10 +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-04-02 at 14:24 +0200, David Allouche wrote:

> > But grouping revisions by version just seems a reasonably useful and
> > simple way to do it without going all the way to zipfiles, sqlite or
> > whatever.
>
> To do what precisely ? Whats special about version that it avoids
> problems ?

To avoid scalability issues with the not-so-good filesystems around.
Getting cache listings is useful even if the current baz implementation
does not do it. And even with the current implementation, cold cache
performance matters.

Version has nothing special. It does not avoid problems with
pathological archives containing two branches, ten thousand patches
each, or ten thousand branches two patches each, but real-life archives
tend to be more balanced than that. I think it is just a simple and
reasonably useful heuristic.

Anyway, there is no compelling use case or profiling information out
there right now, so the discussion is largely moot at this point.

--
                                                            -- ddaa