Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch/tla on cygwin (again)

From: John A Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch/tla on cygwin (again)
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 16:14:31 -0500

Bob Tanner wrote:

I followed this thread
        http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnu-arch-users/2003-11/msg00194.html

to its end

        http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnu-arch-users/2003-11/msg00756.html

It seems this project just stopped.

Is there any status update on arch/cygwin other then the wiki?

I attempted to build tla-1.3.1 on cygwin, ran into the usual issues listed on the mailing list.
Are you building Tom's version? Or the cygwin specific one?

/bin/sh vs /bin/bash
unit-unidata test

My journey began because of this error:

$ tla commit
Password:
Error during call to `vu_access' for /cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/tanner/My Documents/My Downloads/very/long/path/to/project/{arch}/++pt/u/address@hidden/YYYYYYYYY--mainline--0.1--base-0/{arch}/,,inode-sigs/address@hidden (File name too long)
PANIC: I/O error
There are a few different versions for tla on cygwin. The official version doesn't work. Lode Leroy has a binary distribution (which I feel *almost* works but not completely) I took his changes and put them into a arch repository. I'm at present (as in worked on it yesterday) getting all of the tests to pass.
The branch is available from:
http://ct.radiology.uiowa.edu/~jfmeinel/archives/address@hidden
I have some testing builds of it at
http://ct.radiology.uiowa.edu/~jfmeinel/tla-short-path/testing/

I also have a build of my short-path version at:
http://ct.radiology.uiowa.edu/~jfmeinel/tla-short-path/

The short-path version tries to make paths shorter to avoid problems. However long category/branch/archive names can still run out of space. Lode's version uses the fact that on Windows (unless you disable it) every filename/directory has a short dos 8.3 name. Which means they can be created with their full name, and then accessed later by a shorter path. It works, though afterwards Explorer and most general tools don't like the directories.

Summary, things are progressing, if you want, try the binaries, maybe check back once in a while.

John
=:->