[Gnu-arch-users] tla "mv" across categories

From: Paolo Donadeo
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] tla "mv" across categories
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 11:51:33 +0200

Hi all, I'm a software engineer working in Baretta DE&IT, a company
developing free software. We need a version control system and we used
CVS at first, but we abandoned it six months ago; we passed then to
darcs, but this was an awfully bad idea since darcs is slow (8 days
for a *small* merge, before I decided to kill the process) and buggy.

Now I'm searching for a valid VCS and GNU Arch seems to be the right
choice, but my company can not afford another jump in the dark.

So, as a novice, I read some documentation on tla, specifically the
"arch Meets hello-world" by Tom Lord and various documents from
wiki.gnuarch.org. I have a few questions for the community, before
deciding to adopt tla:

1) I have complex projects to manage, with many independent
sub-projects interacting each other. The idea is to use the
"Multi-tree Projects" feature as explained by mr. Lord, but I found
it's explanation quite obscure. Does exists some other documentation
about these features? How is it simple to add/remove a project
(category, in Arch lexicon, but please correct me if the case), or
merge a trees in this multi tree scenario?

2) A typical scenario here is this: many developers writes code and,
after a period of time, the code needs to be refactored. Tla of course
has the "mv" and "move" commands, but can I move files (very
important) and directories (not so important) across categories, in
the multi tree scenario described before, preserving the history of
changes?

Thanks in advance for your support.

Best regards,

                                            Paolo Donadeo