Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: The future of GNU Arch users

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: The future of GNU Arch users
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 08:44:54 -0400

> > Ludovic Court?s <address@hidden> wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I'm wondering about the future of GNU Arch users.  I've been using tla
> >> for a year or so and I've always considered it a good tool, even today.
> >> However, it seems that many (most?) people on this list don't consider
> >> tla/baz as valuable tools anymore and are considering moving to GIT or
> >> Bazaar 2 ASAP (which is, IMO, quite a radical change).
> >
> > I really like the Arch dumb server model and append-only, orthogonal
> > storage/changeset format, and that's why I'm sticking with baz/tla 1.x
> > for the forseeable future.
>
> I also like the dumb server of Arch.
>
> Which new systems do also have that feature?

bzr certainly does the dumb server model. :) The filesystem isn't
append-only though. This is a bit of a drawback for flash devices, but a win
overall (you should see the tapdancing that arch has to go through to make
that work).

If you're willing to trade away append-only then you can get a much, much
better storage & syncing system.

Bazaar-2 doesn't have all of the things you'd expect from a revision
control system quite yet. However, its good enough that its bootstrapped
and is also good enough for projects that can ensure single committers.

--
 James Blackwell      |   Life is made of the stuff that hasn't killed
 Tell someone a joke! |   you yet.                       - yours truly