Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: details, details

From: Andrew Suffield
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: details, details
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 17:34:27 +0100

On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 07:25:12AM +0800, Lalo Martins wrote:
> And so says Thomas Lord on 08/09/05 00:04...
> > the trashing of the Arch project.
>
> Ok, try these details:
>
> The only thing hurting the Arch project is your attitude; your leaving
> and not appointing another maintainer, your ranting posts.

You appear to have forgotten the history, probably because you weren't
there. When I look back, I can trace the rise and fall of arch to two
rough events.

The first event was when people other than Tom started working on it
(back in the late days of larch). That's where sftp and http support
came from, a whole pile of bug fixes, and features which 'new' users
take for granted as part of arch. Before this it was an interesting
experiment; after this it was a serious option for real work.

The second event was when Canonical hired most of them and stopped
them from working on tla, moving them to their own projects. At that
point development on arch more or less stopped.

Tom never really had much to do with it, beyond the idea and original
design.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |