Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Weird 'tla changes' behaviour

From: Andrew Bennetts
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Weird 'tla changes' behaviour
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 16:30:40 +1000

On Fri, Sep 09, 2005 at 01:50:28AM -0400, Adrian Irving-Beer wrote:
[...]
> First, tla segfaulted on a 'tla changes'.  So I ran it over and over
> again to see what happened.  Several successful runs.  A couple
> segfaults.  Then, it reported this:
[...]
> So presumably, it got the ID on the directory mixed up, and thought that
> everything had moved to the same directory, different ID.
[...]
> Obviously, it's an explicitly-tagged file, so it again somehow thought
> that the file had changed IDs.

One possible explanation for this is that bits of memory are getting
corrupted.  The RAM might be bad, or the CPU might be overheating.

Try reproducing on another machine with the same tree and the same version
of tla (and preferably same everything else).

Also try running memtest86 on your system, and try stressing it by building
a couple of linux kernel trees in parallel.  If these fail, it's a strong
indication of hardware problems.

-Andrew.