[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Obsoleting abrowse

From: Matthieu Moy
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Obsoleting abrowse
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 20:44:19 +0200

Hi,

I'm just resurecting an old thread.

I've just changed "baz browse" to look a bit more like "baz abrowse".
As discussed in another thread, I think some of the decisions taken
are not relevant anymore since the namespace change is unlikely to
happen. No need to prepare a transition then.

A short demo:

# The category and branch are now displayed separately.
$ baz browse xtla | head
address@hidden
  xtla
    xtla--bazaar
      xtla--bazaar--0.9
        base-0 .. patch-29
    xtla--debian
      xtla--debian--0.1
        base-0 .. patch-5
    xtla--devo
      xtla--devo--0.1
# The match is exact on category--branch--version.
$ baz browse xtl
# --categories and --branches re-added
$ baz browse --branches xtla
address@hidden
  xtla
    xtla--bazaar
    xtla--debian
    xtla--devo
    xtla--main
# regexp match available, does a prefix match on the version name
$ baz browse --regex 'xtl.*1'
address@hidden
  xtla
    xtla--debian
      xtla--debian--0.1
        base-0 .. patch-5
    xtla--devo
      xtla--devo--0.1
        base-0 .. patch-116
      xtla--devo--1.1
        base-0 .. patch-117
      xtla--devo--1.2
        base-0 .. patch-58
    xtla--main
      xtla--main--0.1
        base-0 .. version-0
      xtla--main--1.0
        base-0 .. patch-1
      xtla--main--1.2
        base-0 .. patch-28
# regexp match works also on archive name
$ baz browse --regex 'address@hidden/bazaar--devo'
address@hidden
  bazaar
    bazaar--devo
      bazaar--devo--1.0
        base-0 .. patch-71
      bazaar--devo--1.1
        base-0 .. patch-122
      bazaar--devo--1.2
        base-0 .. patch-34
      bazaar--devo--1.3
        base-0 .. patch-76
      bazaar--devo--1.4
        base-0 .. patch-71
      bazaar--devo--1.5
        base-0 .. patch-64

The performances for abrowse and browse are also comparable.

I've kept abrowse, it doesn't appear in "baz help", but I moved the
warning from the output of "abrowse" (in stderr) to the help text for
abrowse: Since there's no major change expected in Bazaar 1.x, there's
no real reason to deprecate abrowse anymore (I'm not opposed to
keeping a hard-to-maintain code if we don't have to make it evolve).
Since it doesn't appear in "baz help", it won't disturb the beginners.

'hope everybody is happy with this.

--
Matthieu