[Gnu-arch-users] my career as journalist? think-tank leader?

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] my career as journalist? think-tank leader?
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 18:15:19 -0700

Lalo (regarding my post on Andy's offer, globalization, etc.):

> See, now *that* is an interesting and thoughtful message, with
> which I agree almost 100%.  Glad I didn't unsubscribe.

> Just fyi (specially Andy), a mid-level Chinese programmer makes
> about two thousand yuan per month.  One yuan =~ 8.14 dollars.
> So 600 dollars would be a *really* good salary.

Thanks, Lalo.

I've also, lately, found something of a hobby in writing on
geopolitical issues with special interests in greater Asia,
domestic politics and economy, the global war on terror,
and, of course, the computing systems industry.
It was for that reason I didn't rush to conjure up my own
numbers about the significance of $600US/m in any region
other than my own.

I'm not wonkish enough about that (yet?).  I am sure you are
at least roughly right and just as sure that I'd want to
better understand the issues and trends before making too
specific a claim in that area.

I started a little blog on livejournal but it's not very
good yet so I won't link to it.

Perhaps I should go back to busking as a writer? :-)

There's a good fantasy: a little thinktank that provides
multivalent analysis in open source form (in the intel
sense of "open source") and happens to release
free-as-in-freedom software tools as a sideline.  In a
pinch, we could go into the party equipment rental business.

I have my doubts I'd ever make enough busking to hire a
staff, set up an office, and pay for visitations and field
trips.  Sigh.