[Gnu-arch-users] the cost of being a maintainer

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] the cost of being a maintainer
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 14:06:02 -0700

Ams in reply to me:

   >> [Either committing or critiquing submitted patches]
   >> is problematic when you get to the situation I found
   >> myself in: a fire-hose stream of problematic fixes
   >> from an uncooperative source.

   > You should simply reject those fixes (with a explanation
   > of why).  Which you did.  And I don't blame you.

Yeah, but then there was the backlash.  My explanations went
largely unnoticed and unappreciated (you are apparently an
exception).  The net result (lots of activity on baz) became
the fact around which spin was constructed that drew users
away from tla and spread myths about how unreasonable I was.
That harmed opportunities for busking and it harmed opportunities
to start-up a business around tla.  I found the whole thing rather
odd since there really was no need for that kind of "competition"
between Canonical and me but there it was.

   >> Maintaining a project takes up a lot of time/money.

   > I disagree, it takes a lot of patience though.

Well, it was more than full-time work for me.  I'm still feeling
pretty exhausted.