[Gnu-arch-users] ego confessions and brass tacks.

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] ego confessions and brass tacks.
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 16:47:50 -0700

Andy:
  > [Tom Lord did all this cool stuff.]

Yup.  Sure did.  Unlike the first person in the poem referenced
in the Subject:, I don't care to be known as the smartest man
in America (since, surely, I am not, and, anyway, what a bother
that would be -- my heart of hearts ego is more closely aligned
with the el hombre invisible).  Still, it's eerie and weird that
I can't get anywhere career-wise.

Alfred Szmidt keeps coming back to brass tacks and I think I
ought to join him in that:  whither GNU Arch, sans maintainer?
Solving that problem, well I hasten to add, is a good priority
for the community.  Wondering why it is hard to solve (and I come
back to "incentives" on that one) is also worthy of the community's
time.

Back to me, says my ego (first things first, after all)....
it's not like I'm out of ideas or anything.   I've got quite a
lot that had to be put up on a shelf for a later day owing to
immediate pragmatic needs.  There just seems to be no institutional
reward for work like I do and that seems, to some of us apparently,
like a bit of a bug.