[Gnu-arch-users] nuking the field

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] nuking the field
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 15:08:32 -0700

Andrew:

> Put bluntly, I think that the heavy politicalisation of the revision
> control field, with widespread territorialism and a few financial
> heavyweights trying to achieve market dominance, is too hostile an
> environment to support practical free software development. The
> antics of companies like Canonical, BitMover and Tigris have
> effectively nuked the field and it will take years before the
> radiation decays enough to support life.

Bruce:

> Really?  I don't know why Stellation (which used to be in the Eclipse
> family of projects) died (or appears to have), but it wouldn't
> surprise me if they felt too much pressure from subversion.  (Not that
> the two were intended to be similar, but maybe people lost interest as
> it became clear that subversion would be good enough at what it was
> intended to do.)

I think you're mistaken about the source of demise of stellation
although svn may have made a convenient excuse at some point or
other.  There was a "last gasp" from stellation folk on one of
the svn lists for a while.

But, yes, Andrew left the antics of Collabnet off his list
which would be a mistake other than that he said "comapanies *like*"
[emph. added].

It's a nice piece, Andrew, given the circumstances.