Re: [Gnu-arch-users] taglines

From: Martin Langhoff
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] taglines
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 10:41:05 +1300

On 10/14/05, Thomas Lord <address@hidden> wrote:
> Martin, you describe a situation in which you didn't use
> the inventory system at all, declare that you don't understand
> how, in this case, tagline id tags would help, and without
> any support state "conclusions" that the inventory system
> is bad.   You talk about using file contents to track logical
> identity but fail to acknowledge several obvious problems with
> that approach.  That's weird.

Please refrain from ad-hominem, thank-you-very-much. I rather stick to
discussing technology over personalities.

To be frank, right now I'm enthusiastic about the mechanism, but that
enthusiasm will pass, and all that will remain is that I now won't
settle for an SCM that can't handle all those scenarios gracefully. So
if an inventory mechanism copes with all those scenarios and doesn't
get in the way like tla's did, cool! I take it.

I am aware (vaguely) that there are potential pitfalls, feel free to
point out the dragons. I haven't hit any. OTOH, in my use if tla I've
hit all sorts of problems, even with a fairly good understanding of
tagline inventory mode (which didn't want to play with cvs imports
echoing my new files back).

Perhaps I didn't *get* all the inventory magic foo that tla had to
offer. Perhaps that proves I'm dumb, but hey, maybe that's why I feel
"git" is a good match for me, and I don't have to worry about
inventories and it still supports renames ;-)

cheers,

martin