Re: [Gnu-arch-users] taglines

From: Mikhael Goikhman
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] taglines
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 02:31:36 +0000

On 16 Oct 2005 08:02:25 +0900, Miles Bader wrote:

> Colin's arguments are very weak in practice.  _No_ method [*] will
> solve this problem for you in a way that will catch all cases and get
> them all right.  The advantage of taglines is that for _typical_
> projects --- which consist of 98% source code -- taglines get very
> close to being perfect.  Colin argues that because taglines can't
> perfectly handle the last 2% (though even in these 2% cases, it merely
> falls back to one of the other methods!) you ought to chuck them and
> use something else -- even though the alternatives are _always_ worse!

These are not facts. You forgot to add "IMHO", "in my practice".

> To my mind the best reason to not like taglines is simply because
> they're part of the source, and much less useful when you're using
> arch to track a project where you do not have the ability to add them
> to the sources (this is Martin's main argument I guess).  Some people
> apparently try to dynamically add taglines to only their local version
> of the source, but this sounds like it might be pretty hairy.

There are more reasons than these to dislike tagline. Most may be found
in thread "Changing the default tagging method to tagline is not sane".

http://lists.seyza.com/pipermail/gnu-arch-dev/2004-November/thread.html#173

I am not good at rhetoric (and English is not my language), so I would
not continue that flame war. But I want to point there is another opinion
that tagline is a limited and obscure solution, better to be avoided.

Note, I am a pro-inventory person (so git is not an alternative for me).
It is just the methods (explicit versus tagline) we disagree about.

Regards,
Mikhael.