[Gnu-arch-users] james on Canonical

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] james on Canonical
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 09:57:30 -0700

 James> The company is moving completely away from arch.

Yeah, and that's the irony.

What it looks like from here is that Arch enabled Canonical
to bootstrap quickly and relatively efficiently.  Mark even
cites `tla' as an inspiration for Canonical and it only takes
a small leap to conclude that my writings on how Arch can
improve the distribution business reached his ear directly
or indirectly (and also, apparently, imperfectly).

In what is at least graceless and arguably unprofessional
ways y'all screwed both the users and the upstream project,
thoroughly.  Baz-ng, which looks to me to most likely wind
up as an "also ran", is a poor excuse.  Launchpad's investment
to value-returned ratio, from all perspectives, doesn't look
very promising.  To rescue a business model, Canonical's
technical and community ambitions are likely to contract and
you'll wind up being a support company for UserLinux-by-another-
name propped up by a modest number of contracts from people
uncomfortable buying from a USian company like Novell.
That's all well and good for paying a bit of rent and
mortgages but meanwhile:

You've overgrazed the commons, missed larger opportunities
due to a misguided interest in starting piss fights, and
your biggest impact is "nothing but driving a good man
from his home."