Re: [Gnu-arch-users] file system interface to a database

From: Aldrik KLEBER
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] file system interface to a database
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 18:17:07 +0100

Le Lundi 09 Janvier 2006 01:26, Andy Tai a écrit :
> Thanks for the information. It does not look like this is an easy thing to
> do, to try to put a tla archive on top of sqlite.  But nontheless I may try
> to look into continuing the work you have done when I feel up to it...
>
> Andy

If we want to have a backend db, we must think about the revision library too.
Studying the code show me that all is organised as a filesystem, with plugins
to manage fileystem through, http, ftp,  sftp. If this model work, this is
because there is a real filesystem behind.

I think for the moment (my point of view can change later), it is possible to
have an efficient db backend, but with one condition, we must plug the
backend higher in arch API, not at the level of the pfs. Why ?
_ Nothing is more efficient to store a filesystem than a real filesystem
_ Relationnal DB are designed to drop the notion of filesystem, so we don't
store files on a db, but we store logical entity, like, category, package,
version, hacker, etc ...

I continue my study of code arch, if I manage to design an appropriate(clean)
interface, I will start the writing of SQLite backend.

--
Cordialement,

Aldrik

Citation de fortune :

The biggest mistake you can make is to believe that you are working for
someone else.