Re: [Gnu-arch-users] doc formats

From: Mark Flacy
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] doc formats
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 00:48:28 -0600

On 2006.01.19 20:35, Thomas Lord wrote:

Mark:

> Heaven forbid that we'd use DocBook
> (http://docbook.sourceforge.net/).> Or LyX (http://www.lyx.org/). Or even TeXmacs
> (http://www.texmacs.org/), for crying  out loud.

Those may be very fine tools but two of the three of them
don't provide anything at all like the functionality
I was talking about.

Docbook may very well be useful for this project but
not as the plain-text format and therefore, ideally,
not as the source form.

You can produce plain text from it as well as other useful formats. You don't need a fancy editor to create documents with it, but there is support in Emacs for it. (There's minor support for it in LyX, for that matter.)

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/OtherOutputForms.html

nxml mode for Emacs (http://www.thaiopensource.com/nxml-mode/) provides fairly painless support for creating and editing XML files that are defined by Relax-NG schemas, as well as continuous validation of the document while you type. DocBook version 5.0 has a Relax-NG schema and is thus supported by nxml mode.

While DocBook is hated by quite a few people, I've found it to be flexible enough to generate anything that I need in whatever format that I desire. It's been around for 10 years or so (counting the SGML versions with DSSL style sheets) and is mature enough so that you can actually get non-documentation related work done. It's also under constant review and improvement by folks who really get into designing that sort of thing, versus those of us who simply want to use it.

> Reinvent the wheel; that's the ticket. I thought that I was reading > comp.lang.forth for a minute.

Nobody is reinventing the wheel.

In this context, I find that hard to believe. However, I'm not in the Arch users mailing list to read about or discuss documentation formats; if you wish to have the last word in this branch of the thread, go for it. This is too off-topic for my tastes and so I will refrain from further comment on the matter.