Re: [Gnu-arch-users] contributors' licensing conditions

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] contributors' licensing conditions
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 15:30:27 +0900

    James> Are you suggesting that the GPLv3 drafts should worked on
    James> in secret?

Don't be silly.  That's exactly the kind of "we know what we're doing,
so if you don't understand you must be completely missing the point"
kind of thinking I'm objecting to.  But since it must be spelled out:

Of course not.  There's nothing wrong with putting this draft into a
Savannah project, labelling it "alpha", publishing the URL and
inviting the legal equivalent of J. Random Hacker to contribute.

But even the much-maligned IETF wouldn't dare publish it as an RFC.
At that, it would probably be split into _two_ RFCs---an informational
specification, and a standards-track document, rather than having the
specification and the implementation all mixed up as it currently is.