Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Question about bug 8206

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Question about bug 8206
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 18:38:12 +0200 (CEST)

   >    What is the tool people normally use for authoring info pages?
   >
   > Emacs.

   :-)

:-)

   I think he wanted an answer like "texinfo" or maybe "docbook".

I don't think you can do info pages from docbook.

   >    Can docbook be the source of both man and info pages?
   >
   > You can make XML files from texinfo.

   You can also make XML and texinfo from docbook, right?

I don't think so, atleast I have not seen such a hack.

It should be noted that texinfo is not the same as info (for those of
you who think that they are the same).  You use texinfo to generate
info pages, including other formats.  I just checked the texinfo
manual, and you can actually generate docbook from texinfo, so you
have the following formats supported from texinfo: info html plain
text xml docbook ps/pdf/dvi.  It should be quite trivial to make a
program that spits out other formats, like troff and what not.