gnu-crypto-discuss

[GNU Crypto] Documentation

From: baz
Subject: [GNU Crypto] Documentation
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 22:27:28 +0100

Hi,

Can someone tell me if there exists some basic design documentation for
gnu-crypto?

I've been looking at the gnu crypto project for a couple of days now and it
seems to me that there is not much for a newcomer to go on.

Documentation is limited to the source code/javadoc and the references on
the home page to the details of the algorithms, but nothing on the basics of
going about using the library.

I have some experience of using the sun JCE and so have gone about trying to
use this library in the same way. (Incidentally I always seem to get
'NoSuchAlgorithmException's when trying to create gnu-crypto keys or
ciphers, despite installing the gnu provider.)

Since I can't get this to work and the mailing lists talk about the library
being self-sufficient and stand alone, I'd be happy to use it as such. Only
thing is, I haven't quite figured out how to do this yet.

If no 'user guide' documentation exists yet then if someone would just give
me a quick half a page on the design philosophy of the library then I'd be
more than happy to put together some documentation myself.

Regards,
barry bishop