Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Review of Trisquel 4.0 at Distrowatch

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Review of Trisquel 4.0 at Distrowatch
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 19:21:06 +1030

On Sat, 9 Oct 2010 23:48:35 +0200
Henry Jensen <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was glad to find a review of Trisquel 4.0 at Distrowatch
> at http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20101004#feature

Thanks for the link, should be an interesting read.

> I am very interested  in the different GNU/Linux distros, especially
> in the fully free ones for different reasons. One reason is, that I
> am part of a team that is creating a distro ourselves.

I suspect you'll find being part of a distro team is the norm on this
list, not the exception.

[...]

> What bothers me is, that the author couldn't resist to attack fully
> free distros in general a little bit. He asserts that the reasons
> that he doesn't use fully free distros are that "most of these
> 100%-free software distros are based upon other distribution" (I
> belive, there are some which don't) and that "making a more-free

There are some that are 'top level distributions', but his statement
that 'most of these ... are based apon other distribution[s]' is true.

> Fedora or Ubuntu sounds a bit like comparing vanilla ice cream with
> extra vanilla."

I don't understand the comparison here, but i guess they were his
words not yours.

> While I can understand this reason from a technical point of view
> (even it is not fully correct), with his second reason I can't aggree:
>
> He writes:
> "I am pro open-source software. Given the choice between a FOSS
> solution and a proprietary alternative, I would rather use the FOSS
> option. But in preferring libre solutions, I don't have anything
> against closed-source programs. Some FOSS-only distributions strike
> me as being more anti-proprietary than pro-free. [...] Frankly, I'm

Perhaps they are, it would be interesting to hear if he has examples,
and why he thinks that of certain distributions.
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)
http://www.kgoetz.id.au