Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Review of Trisquel 4.0 at Distrowatch

From: jaromil
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Review of Trisquel 4.0 at Distrowatch
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 00:57:05 +0200

hi Ruben,

On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 10:47:00PM +0200, Rub�n Rodr�guez wrote:

> I'm getting the impression that you think someone from Trisquel
> wrote the review. If so, you are wrong. The article is signed by
> Jesse Smith, whom I never met.

indeed, you got me there.

so now i took the time to read the article: should have done it in
first place, it's a positive review of Trisquel and it even quotes
dyne:bolic in it.

my opinion about this specific comment by Jesse:

  Some FOSS-only distributions strike me as being more
  anti-proprietary than pro-free. The BLAG project's web site states
  the distro is working "to overthrow corporate control of information
  and technology". The dyne:bolic web site states their "software is
  one step in the struggle for redemption and freedom from
  proprietary, closed-source and resource intensive software."
  Frankly, I'm less interested in a revolution to over-throw something
  than I am in promoting open source and using FOSS wherever possible.

the guy got a point there: i also dislike attitudes that omit a pars
construens after a pars destruens. however dyne:bolic speaks about
redemption, not about being "against" something: liberation from
slavery is a *positive* instance, politically speaking. despite the
black panter movement needed to organise some self defense, we never
went burning white people on crosses hey. maybe there is a bias there
that makes Jesse judge the message as anti-something, while i'd just
call it assertive.

ultimately i see that even BLAG has a very constructive attitude:
after declaring the problems, it originated a whole operating system,
very onerous effort indeed, even harder to carry 5 years ago than
nowadays by just skinning an Ubuntu.  very constructive, yet clear
about its reasons. and all that stuff was hard to realize at a time
the Ubuntu billionaire guy wasn't yet there to save us all sinners.

ciao

- --
jaromil, dyne.org developer, http://jaromil.dyne.org

GPG: B2D9 9376 BFB2 60B7 601F  5B62 F6D3 FBD9 C2B6 8E39