Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Smartphones and freedom

From: Jason Self
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Smartphones and freedom
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 09:52:36 -0800 (PST)

Jaromil <address@hidden> wrote ..
> my problem with android OS is that, besides it not being free and not
> being freeable also in my opinion, it uses Java language which i also
> dislike very much.. :)
>
> so what i was looking recently into was Maemo, especially because
> Jebba (BLAG's old chap) got involved into it.
>
> now of course is not the best time to mention this, after Nokia had
> signed a contract with m$ and hit a -10% stock value in a day for it,
> seems departments busy with Maemo and QT4 there aren't in good
> waters... but i'm still wondering if anyone here had a look at it and
> considers it maintainable in future. if yes, i think that has the
> chance to become 100% free, it's foundation is already compatible with
> major packaging systems.

Maemo also has proprietary components. I remember a joke that you can't even
charge a Nokia N900 without using proprietary software.

I think that only being able to talk to the hardware using proprietary software
is probably the largest hurdle to freedom in the world of mobile phones, not
the operating system. We already have that.