Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Time to recheck Chromium?

From: Jaromil
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Time to recheck Chromium?
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 13:04:43 +0200

hi Brett

On Mon, 19 Mar 2012, Brett Smith wrote:

> Is anybody interested in taking a deeper look at Chromium's current
> status to see if there might be a way to include it now?  I remain
> loyal to Mozilla-based browsers myself, but I know a lot of users
> are interested in Chromium, so it would be nice if that was an
> option free distros could provide.

I've checked through the list of licenses now comfortably offered by
the built-in url chrome://credits which is generated by a script in
the source which can be trusted, AFAIK.

There are many components and I wouldn't rely on my single analysis
now, since some details might have slipped through my attention,
however my outcome is positive, most licenses are BSD, Apache, MIT,
public domain, Expat etc. plus of course GNU GPL v2 and v3. To me it
seems there are no proprietary licenses tainting chromium ATM.

looking forward to more opinions.

ciao

--
jaromil,  dyne.org developer,  http://jaromil.dyne.org
GPG: B2D9 9376 BFB2 60B7 601F 5B62 F6D3 FBD9 C2B6 8E39