[GNU-linux-libre] Time to recheck Chromium?

From: Brett Smith
Subject: [GNU-linux-libre] Time to recheck Chromium?
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 15:54:50 -0400

Inspired by a recent bug report, I started taking another look at
Chromium's current licensing situation, and it seems like there's been a
lot of improvement.  A lot of the problems I used to know about are
gone.  Using Debian's copyright file as a sort of guide, I went looking
for files with bad licensing, and didn't have any luck -- a lot of the
files that Debian classifies as "unknown" are autogenerated, or have
good license headers that were just missed by whatever script they're
using.  The bug report that we link to in NONFSDG has seen a lot of
progress since, including at least one update this year.

Is anybody interested in taking a deeper look at Chromium's current
status to see if there might be a way to include it now?  I remain loyal
to Mozilla-based browsers myself, but I know a lot of users are
interested in Chromium, so it would be nice if that was an option free
distros could provide.

--
Brett Smith
License Compliance Engineer, Free Software Foundation

Support the FSF by becoming an Associate Member: http://fsf.org/jf