[GNU-linux-libre] Artistic License

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: [GNU-linux-libre] Artistic License
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 13:39:51 +0200

Hi,

When the Artistic License was brought up again recently ([1], [2]), I
started to suspect that we never thoroughly searched the gNewSense
repository for the Artistic License (certainly not gNS Parkes). So with
the help of Debian Code Search [3] ([4]) I disovered quite a bit more
issues:

- bubbros: bubbob/levels/*,bubbob/music/*,bubbob/sounds/* (also
  bubbob/levels/*bin = binary only)
- cfengine3: pub/snprintf.c (Frontier Artistic License, practically
  identical to AL 1.0, see also [5])
- deborphan: all (except util/orphaner.sh = GPL|Artistic)
- dist: all
- dokuwiki: inc/IXR_Library.php
- durep: all
- etktab: all
- filters: kenny
- fonts-f500: all
- gbase: all
- htp: src/snprintf.c (Frontier Artistic License)
- icpminfo: all
- iog: all
- kde4libs: kate/syntax/data/lpc.xml; no license: javascript.xml,
  nemerle.xml, verilog.xml, eiffel.xml, python.xml,
  component-pascal.xml, literate-haskell.xml, sieve.xml, sql-mysql.xml,
  pike.xml, sql-postgresql.xml, ldif.xml, makefile.xml, velocity.xml,
  rsiidl.xml, grammar.xml, haskell.xml
- kdebase: apps/kdepasswd/kdepasswd.cpp = ambiguous: contains
  "KAboutData::License_Artistic", but header has X11-style license
  notice
- libapache-mod-log-sql: all
- lire: src/snprintf.c (FAL)
- mailagent: all
- mancala: all
- movabletype-opensource: extlib/XML/Elemental.pm,
  extlib/XML/Parser/Style/Elemental.pm,
  extlib/Class/Data/Inheritable.pm,
  plugins/WidgetManager/lib/WidgetManager/L10N/{de,nl,ja,es,en_us}.pm,
  plugins/WidgetManager/lib/WidgetManager/L10N.pm,
  plugins/ImageValidate/*,
  plugins/WXRImporter/lib/WXRImporter/Import.pm,
  plugins/WXRImporter/lib/WXRImporter/WXRHandler.pm,
  plugins/WXRImporter/lib/WXRImporter/L10N/{de,nl,ja,es,en_us,fr}.pm,
  plugins/WXRImporter/lib/WXRImporter/L10N.pm
- mummer: all
- nbibtex: all
- ncc: all, except scripts/gengraph.py
- njplot: all
- openbox-themes: Anchos/*, Bland/*, Cyclism/*, Deep/*, Mars/*,
  Peptide/*, Seven/*, Airborne/*, Bloohax/*, Flax/*, Mist-Ashen/*,
  M0nst4-sky/*, Nxpro/*, Squadron/*, SublimeWhite/*, Taqua/*,
  TropicBomb/*, Mint/*
- pennmush: all
- postmark: all
- qstat: all
- rmagic: all
- rman: all
- sbnc: src/snprintf/snprintf.c (FAL)
- scilab: src/c/mt.c
- shhmsg: all
- shhopt: all
- siege: lib/joedog/snprintf.c
- simutrans-pak128.britain: all, except mose.py
- simutrans-pak64: all, except vehicle/water/abo-ships.png
- simutrans: all, except font/m+10r.bdf
- snake4: all
- tagcloud: all
- texlive-extra:
  texmf-dist/doc/latex/confproc/example/papers/IEEEtran.bst
- tigr-glimmer: all, except debian/*
- tinymux: all
- tkman: all
- txt2html: all, except debian/*
- wakeonlan: all
- wily: all
- wwwstat: all, except debian/* (excl. debian/*.8
- xdrawchem: xdrawchem/boshcp.*
- xtv: all
- xxkb: all

- angband-doc: debian/*
- maradns: debian/resolvconf-script
- mpc: debian/examples/playstream
- psgml: debian/*
- rest2web: debian/*
- w3c-sgml-lib: debian/*
- w3c-markup-validator: debian/*

- libvpx: examples/includes/HTML-Toc-0.91 = debian/copyright says AL,
  http://search.cpan.org/~fvulto/HTML-Toc-0.91/Toc.pod#COPYRIGHT says
  Perl
- texlive-base: debian/copyright lists some license problems

The only potentially heavy issue is texlive-base. It's debian copyright
file [6] lists some "serious problems". I did not investigate those yet.

Search method: I searched in DCS for "rtistic", scraped the source
packages from the HTML results, filtered out "*-perl*" and anything not
in Squeeze and then used "grep -ri artistic" on the remainder. There are
probably more issues in Wheezy+ and some that I missed in Squeeze.

[1]
http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/gnewsense-users/2013-06/msg00027.html
[2]
http://listas.trisquel.info/pipermail/trisquel-devel/2013-July/000739.html
[3] http://codesearch.debian.net/
[4] An approximation, because it only searches in Debian Unstable
[5]
[6]
http://ftp-master.metadata.debian.org/changelogs//main/t/texlive-base/texlive-base_2013.20130722-1_copyright

Regards,