[GNU-linux-libre] LibertyBSD Evaluation

From: Riley Baird
Subject: [GNU-linux-libre] LibertyBSD Evaluation
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 07:57:47 +1100

Hi,

I just thought that this might help with your evaluation of LibertyBSD. It is a
point by point breakdown comparing LibertyBSD to the FSDG:

Complete distros:
-LibertyBSD is self-hosting and contains a wide array of resources installed by
default, including text editors, games and http/ftp/dns servers

License rules:
-No non-free software or information for practical use is distributed with
LibertyBSD.

Nonfree firmware:
-All nonfree firmware has been removed, as has fw_update, a script for
downloading non-distributable firmware.

Non-functional data:
-I am not aware of any non-free non-functional data in LibertyBSD. (Although,
this wouldn't matter according to the FSDG anyway.)

Trademarks:
-I do not assert trademark rights over the name LibertyBSD, or anything else
related to the distribution.
-There are still some references to the name OpenBSD throughout the system.
However, I have spoken to the developers about this and they seem to have
agreed to my usage of the name provided that I don't call LibertyBSD OpenBSD.[1]

Documentation:
-LibertyBSD does not ship with documentation for the base system.
-LibertyBSD ships with documentation for xenocara (a modified X.org), but this
documentation does not (to my knowledge) recommend non-free software

Patents:
-I have not performed any checks for patent risk, however the FSDG is fine with
this.

No malware:
-OpenBSD is paranoid about security. I doubt that they'd ship with malware.

Commitment to correct mistakes:
-I will remove any non-free bits from LibertyBSD if I have left any out and
they are reported to me. If, at any point, I am unable to do this, and cannot
find anyone willing to do so, then I will inform the FSF of this.

Maintenance:
-See above

Name confusion:
-The name "LibertyBSD" is different enough from "OpenBSD" to avoid confusion.

Contacting upstream if you're downstream:
-If there are any bugs within a GNU package shipped with LibertyBSD, I will
inform the maintainer of said package.

Please teach users about free software:
-I make specific reference to "non-free binary only firmware" and warn about
"non-free blobs lurking in the depths of your system" on the main page.

Please avoid repeating propaganda and confusion:
-Generally this will be fine, but I will have to use the word "Open" when
referring to "OpenBSD".

----
[1] See here for the thread: https://marc.info/?t=141785571900001&r=1&w=2