Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Perfectionism

From: Ivan Zaigralin
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Perfectionism
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2016 12:46:27 -0800

Your summary of this thread could hardly be less correct. We already
identified at least one problem with the OS itself: the presence of the stock
firefox. No one is upset at Purism for putting PureOS on their hardware, but
we suggested a clear separation between the two fronts. As John Sullivan
explained, FSF cannot endorse the hardware project on the account of nonfree
BIOS, so they cannot endorse PureOS as long as the two projects are fused
within the web space the way they are. In particular,  the laptop store can
continue doing all the same things, like advertizing PureOS and shipping it
preinstalled. The inverse endorsement (PureOS -> Librem) may also be possible,
in a way similar to how Trisquel endorses ThinkPenguin hardware.