Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Perfectionism

From: Zlatan Todoric
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Perfectionism
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2016 23:01:46 +0100

Hi,

On 11/10/2016 09:46 PM, Ivan Zaigralin wrote:
Your summary of this thread could hardly be less correct. We already
identified at least one problem with the OS itself: the presence of the stock
firefox. No one is upset at Purism for putting PureOS on their hardware, but
we suggested a clear separation between the two fronts. As John Sullivan
explained, FSF cannot endorse the hardware project on the account of nonfree
BIOS, so they cannot endorse PureOS as long as the two projects are fused
within the web space the way they are. In particular,  the laptop store can
continue doing all the same things, like advertizing PureOS and shipping it
preinstalled. The inverse endorsement (PureOS -> Librem) may also be possible,
in a way similar to how Trisquel endorses ThinkPenguin hardware.

John didn't explained that, on contrary he said that you can't judge PureOS regarding to hardware where it is preinstalled. And what separation are we talking about - PureOS is Free, putting it on some other domain or whatsoever is not going to make it more Free.

Also for all, to outsiders "words not to use" sounds more like religious sect trying to forbid which books to read - that is going to bring more damage than good to average users encountering first time Free software.

Being nitpicky about wording and not about how to deliver content in this age (I really can't see how this website can help to any new user today http://ututo.org/) is obviously failing (if it isn't obvious to you that after 3 decades GNU/FSF are still really small and actually every year less and less important to average mass "attached" to Internet/personal devices and that ecosystem just moved on, well I can't ever explain it to you then).

I am not saying that we should throw away, on contrary, we should steer even more, but we should adapt to times and reform the strategy. Same old strategy doesn't work and as past proved, it is alienating developers and users.