Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Skeleton GNU/Linux

From: Jaromil
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Skeleton GNU/Linux
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2016 13:54:41 +0100

On Sat, 12 Nov 2016, Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer wrote:

> Matt Lee <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > It's not obvious that gNewSense is similar to us. I just struggled to
> > download an ISO and found it running a 3.2 kernel. Our project is
> > based on modern Debian releases with minimal changes. Perhaps there's
> > more to gNewSense that I'm missing and their website is just having a
> > tough time today.
>
> Oh never mind then.  I just thought it's the go-to Debian-based Free
> System Distribution but I guess it's not maintained that well.

FYI, http://gnuinos.org is actively developed and aims to be a 100%
libre distro based on Devuan, which is Debian just without systemd.

the lead developer is Aitor and he has recently updated it to use the
linux-libre series version 4. Gnuinos is still alpha stage, I guess
he'll apply for review here once ready sometime soon in the future.

I really appreciate his efforts and we'll likely run a Devuan-libre
repository (using our package repository daemon amprolla) to block all
non-free packages in the future.

ciao

--
~.,_   Denis Roio aka Jaromil    http://Dyne.org think &do tank
    "+.   CTO and co-founder      free/open source developers