Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Hyperbola: Other "Information for practical use" u

From: Adonay Felipe Nogueira
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Hyperbola: Other "Information for practical use" under a free license
Date: Tue, 15 May 2018 23:19:23 -0300

I'm reminded of that long discussion also in Parabola's mailing lists
when their social contract was being remade.

If I recall correctly, both Parabola and Hyperbola seem to be describing
a practice which is similar to my personal one:

I'm a listener/reader/watcher/viewer of at-least-shareable
non-functional data. However, I try to make my works fit in free/libre
culture --- and this also includes provide complete corresponding source
files even if the license doesn't demand me to (such as the CC licenses,
which don't have such requirement, not even BY-SA). In this paragraph,
the term "at-least-shareable" means those works that have half of
freedom 2, this is the minimum requirement for free/libre software
movement[1][2]. However, the GNU FSDG wants at least the entirety of
freedom 2 for those non-functional works. I cannot speak for those who
wrote the GNU FSDG, but I think this requirement is made such that
people can sell exact copies of the entire system distribution.

One challenge everyone here faces I suppose --- and I'm no exception ---
is how to draw the line on what is functional or not. This paragraph is
not exhaustive, but these I know are functional: software, documentation
(including video or audio used for teaching), scripts, text fonts,
models with shading, 3D objects that can be printed and these materials
used in practical jobs (drinking, eating, fixing other things),
spreadsheets, color profiles. However, some non-functional data also has
interesting capabilities that deserve recategorization, and since we are
in a development mailing list I'm not recommending any of these software
to the end user and so I can say their names: Frogatto is an example of
non-free game which has maps with scripting elements. The Battle for
Wesnoth is (last time I checked) a free/libre game with similar
particularity (see [3] for a note on the things I'm currently ignoring).

Of course for distros such as gNewSense --- which as far as I know
follows the Definition of Free Cultural Works (which defines what "free
culture" is) ---, they can stretch the free/libre software definition to
non-functional works and simply drop the entire previous parapgraph, and
as such they don't need to think "is this file functional data?".

With all this said, I hope I have clarified what Hyperbola possibly
means with the wording about free culture that they use.

[1]
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/google-engineering-talk#freedom-2-moral-dilemma

[2]
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/google-engineering-talk#freedom-2-spirit-of-good-will

[3] For simplicity sake, I'm completely ignoring the recent issue about
TBfW changing the licensing terms of the new content in their add-ons
repository, for which the game itself has integration with such location
to get extensions more easily (similar to what Mozilla Firefox, NodeJS's
npm, Python's pip and many others have by default), because this
repositories alone are subject of another thread

--
- Formas de contato: https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno#vCard
- Ativista do /software/ livre (não confundir com gratuito). Avaliador
  da liberdade de /software/ e de /sites/.
- Arquivos que aceito: https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno#Arquivos
- Contribuições à sociedade:
  https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno#Contributions
- Gosta do meu trabalho? Contrate-me ou doe algo para mim!
  https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno#Suporte
- Use comunicações sociais federadas padronizadas, onde o "social"
  permanece independente do fornecedor. #DeleteWhatsApp. Use #XMPP
  (https://libreplanet.org/wiki/XMPP.pt), #DeleteFacebook
  #DeleteInstagram #DeleteTwitter #DeleteYouTube. Use #ActivityPub via
  #Mastodon (https://joinmastodon.org/).
- #DeleteNetflix #CancelNetflix. Evite #DRM:
  https://www.defectivebydesign.org/