Re: [GNU-linux-libre] yes, this is great freedom problem

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] yes, this is great freedom problem
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2018 23:09:37 +0200

On Thu, Aug 02, 2018 at 11:01:48AM -0500, Isaac David wrote:
> Jean Louis wrote :
> > I did not see pointers in Free Software
> > Distribution guidelines to avoid centralized
> > surveillance networks such as Facebook.
>
> wouldn't that count as an invitation to run nonfree Javascript through
> those websites though? also, what about the broad provision against
> spyware?

Maybe allmiracle can say that, I did not yet try
it out. It looks like connection to "Cloud"
service which is for me totally nuclear what it
does if I just look on that screenshot.

I remember back in time everybody could send email
to Facebook used from outside of Facebook, and
XMPP connection was possible.

All could be encrypted back then, unreadable from
inside.

They blocked the feature since ten.

> > The distro must contain no DRM, no back doors, and no spyware.
>
> technically speaking, no Facebook software is run on the user's
> machine; but i'm pretty sure we can take the premise that Facebook
> spies its "useds" at face value. is that the kind of behaviour we want
> ethical software to promote?

Facebook have used with consent. That is fine. And
there are spy agencies that use the Facebook to
spy on useds by data mining.

In that sense I do not see much difference to
email. Email is just centralized and very insecure
system. Then whoever uses Google as example gave
the consent for spying as well.

> i've also heard from other people in this list that some Gnome
> applications routinely download and interpret
> nonfree Javascript.

Be specific and file any bugs:
https://tracker.pureos.net/

> the bulk of the Gnome dev community doesn't share the FSF's vision,
> yet it still gets touted as the official GNU desktop environment.
> i am a Gnome user myself, but this has always
> struck me as weird.

File bugs.

Jean