Re: [GNU-linux-libre] yes, this is great freedom problem

From: Isaac David
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] yes, this is great freedom problem
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2018 18:24:33 -0500

i'd like to point out the issue raised by the OP isn't really about
PureOS. any distro shipping regular Gnome 3 is equally concerned.

Jean Louis wrote :
On Thu, Aug 02, 2018 at 11:01:48AM -0500, Isaac David wrote:
wouldn't that count as an invitation to run nonfree Javascript through
 those websites though? also, what about the broad provision against
 spyware?

Maybe allmiracle can say that, I did not yet try
it out.

well, as a matter of fact, all of the usual client interfaces for
interacting with Facebook (web, mobile applications) are nonfree. the
question therefore is: is Gnome _inciting_ users to run those?

It looks like connection to "Cloud"
service which is for me totally nuclear what it
does if I just look on that screenshot.

this should give the basic idea:
https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GnomeOnlineAccounts/Providers

Facebook have used with consent. That is fine. And
there are spy agencies that use the Facebook to
spy on useds by data mining.

let's assume useds gave Facebook their informed consent. that's still
missing the point! the guidelines don't exist to try to stop users
from hurting themselves (providing them with free software is the
worst method imaginable to achieve that). rather, we're trying to
determine whether software is trying to hurt the user, or recommend
something along those lines. we evaluate software, not users.

In that sense I do not see much difference to
email. Email is just centralized and very insecure
system. Then whoever uses Google as example gave
the consent for spying as well.

yeah, no. someone needs to call you out on this one.

email is a prime example of a decentralized *and* federated
system. our very exchange is living proof of it. Whereas Facebook is
effectively a monopoly on its communications protocols, Gmail is not,
so I need not be subject to Google's shenanigans in order to use
email. the difference is like day and night.

if by "email" you only mean Gmail and the likes, then I agree Gnome
_may_ be doing the wrong thing there too.

--
Isaac David
GPG: 38D33EF29A7691134357648733466E12EC7BA943