[Gnu-music-discuss] Broken ties

From: Christophe Rhodes
Subject: [Gnu-music-discuss] Broken ties
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 01:26:17 +0100

Dear all,

When a tie is broken across a line, the second note (at the start of a
new line) should have a very small tie, to avoid colliding with the
clef/key signature. This is what I expect, anyway, and it's what I get
in lilypond 1.3.72; however, it's not what I get in the latest
(1.3.88), nor in 1.3.80jcn1.

So somewhere between 1.3.72 and 1.3.80jcn1 I think something has
changed for the worse with broken ties; the CHANGES file says
something about improving behaviour of broken slurs, so could it have
something to do with that?

For example,
http://www-jcsu.jesus.cam.ac.uk/~csr21/cris-opening-1.3.72.ps
http://www-jcsu.jesus.cam.ac.uk/~csr21/cris-opening-1.3.88.ps
with input from
http://www-jcsu.jesus.cam.ac.uk/~csr21/cris-opening.ly

(see in particular bar 63 -- the 1.3.72 version isn't perfect by any
means, but it's closer)

Oh, I'm not convinced by the calculation of dy in tie.cc; personally,
I prefer dy = max_gap for all values of t to the calculation at
present.

Cheers,

Christophe
--
Jesus College, Cambridge, CB5 8BL                           +44 1223 524 842
(FORMAT T "(address@hidden ~}~3:*'address@hidden ~})" 'FORMAT T