Re: >100x performance hit on recent win32 builds?

From: janneke
Subject: Re: >100x performance hit on recent win32 builds?
Date: 23 Oct 2000 12:27:39 +0200

"Jeff Henrikson" <address@hidden> writes:

> lilypond pushproperty.ly
>
> takes over 3 minutes.  Not specific to pushproperty.ly.

Indeed, that's rediculous.

> The stall is after the "calculating column positions" message, which used
> to pass in less than a second.  I don't remember the exact file or numbers,
> but whe n I was measuring 1.3.94 it was like a 300x
> difference.

Here's a version that include debugging info.  Whip up your gdb and
hit ^C when it stalls.  This can probably be fixed without a profiler.

ftp://appel.lilypond.org/pub/gnu-windows/cygwin-1.1.4/bin/tar/lilypond-1.3.98.unstripped.exe.gz

> It would explain the (presumed) OS dependence.  I'm running win98 first
> edition.

Try running Linux, it will save you a lot of time and frustration.
[Btw,please don't abbeviate Windows98 and Windows32]

> **BTW**, these builds are missing their ice-9 directory and I have to copy
> them from an old release to get anything to run at all.
> I am presuming that since ice-9 is all scheme code this is not the source of
> my problem.

The ice-9 stuff is in the guile package.  You *did* install the
cygwin.dll and guile-1.4 package from appel?

Greetings,
Jan