Re: LilyPond 1.3.103

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: LilyPond 1.3.103
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 17:36:37 +0100

address@hidden writes:
> - Can this information be included in the manual (as an appendix?)?
>   It's a pity if the information is only available in HTML.

see .104

> - Do I, as a user, ever have to bother about which specific
>   interface a certain property belongs to?

Well, yes and no.  Some properties (eg. direction = -1 for Accidentals
to put them left of the note), don't make sense if on their own. Only
if you that Accidentals has side-position-interface it's logical. So I
think that it is good to mention the interfaces. The format may not be
optimal yet, so suggestions are appreciated.

> - I find it confusing that we have different kind of properties
>   that are handled different ways. "Engraver properties" are
>   set with
>   \property Context.property = value
>   whereas the "object properties" are (preferably) set with
>   \property Context.Object \push #'property = value
>   What are the future plans? To keep both kinds of properties
>   or move all of them to the latter form or ...?

"property" is just a generic term; the important objects in LilyPond
are now collections of (key . value) pairs.

For example, the Music-types (\sequential, \simultaneous, etc.)  also
have music-properties. The reverse-music function in apply-music.ly
uses this to reverse a piece of music.

I realize that it is confusing to call of them by the same name, so if
you have a better naming suggestion, don't hesitate.

Internally, the three types of properties are accessed through three
different functions: get_mus_property(), get_property() and
get_elt_property().