Re: mudela-book patch

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: mudela-book patch
Date: 09 Nov 2000 09:04:54 -0500

    Tom> Added two lines to fix --outdir option.
    Tom> Do you know any good places to ask questions about sound
    Tom> programming, especially midi using /dev/music on linux?

There is a linux-sound mailing list, but it's pretty low volume.  The
major concentrations of gurus I've run into are on the alsa list
(which only helps if you want to use alsa) and the ecasound mailing
list (which only helps if you want to use ecasound, but you probably
do, if you want to do any kind of command-line processing or recording).

    Tom> Any gurus on this list?

Not me, but I'm willing to tell whatever I know.  The big thing I've
learned about how to do MIDI is that if you use Timidity, you don't
have to get the mixer on your soundcard working, and it sounds better
than if you did anyway.

In general, Dave Phillips "Sound and MIDI software for LINUX"
(http://sound.condorow.net/) page is the  place to start; whatever
application you're trying to use probably has a mailing list
associated with it, with at least one expert on the list.

--
Laura (mailto:address@hidden , http://www.laymusic.org )

(Note the email and homepage address changes; please update your
address book, bookmarks, and links.)