Re: Thanks.

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Thanks.
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 15:53:57 +0100

> But there is another question: I tryed to digit
>
> lilypond lamu.mid
>
> where lamu.mid is a midi file that I took from Internet, and I couldn't obtain
> a .ly file. I don't know what it depends on, but I'll try with the new
> version,
> as soon as I'll have it installed, to see if the poblems persists (I'll try
> with other midi files, of course).

If you want to extract information from .midi files into
.ly files, to be processed by Lilypond, you should use
the program midi2ly which is included in the Lilypond
distribution. This should be clear from the documentation
(is it included in the RPM or whatever you installed from?
Otherwise you can find the manual for 1.2.17 at
http://www.gnu.org/software/lilypond/).

Notice, though, that you probably won't get the nice
result that you expected, both since MIDI files don't
contain all the necessary information to be able to
produce nice printable scores but also since midi2ly
is a fairly primitive program.

  /Mats