Re: Towards a better license for Mutopia

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: Towards a better license for Mutopia
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 16:33:13 -0500

> The freeness of music of composers who died more than 70 years ago is
> regulated by special laws.  In Germany, they are not PD.

Would you please elaborate? If not PD, what is the status of these
works?
Also, I thought that the Berne convention was life plus 50 years. Is
this simply wrong or is it more complicated than that or has it changed?

I am aware that, because the old US copyright convention gave an
absolute limit of 56 years to a copyright that US copyrights prior to
1981 were extended (to benefit publishers, of course ;-)). This doesn't
have anything to do with the 70 years does it?
--

        ars sine scientia nihil