Re: Towards a better license for Mutopia

From: Chris Sawer
Subject: Re: Towards a better license for Mutopia
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 11:55:06 GMT

Bernd Warken wrote:
> I would like to end the discussion now.  I propose to temporarily put
> my contributions under GPL for macro files, FDL for the score source
> files, and MutopiaBSD  for audio and performing.

I think this triple-licensing seems unnecessarily complicated and
confusing. I suggest you follow Han-Wen's suggestion of putting the
music on your own homepage for the time being until a suitable music
license that you agree with is created.

> Moreover, I propose that the people responsable for licensing in
> Mutopia contact Richard Stallman for creating a better license (based
> on FDL, with audio and performance aspects added).

Part of the problem is that no one is responsible for licensing on
Mutopia. Han-Wen and Jan started the project (the archive was
originally only included in the LilyPond distribution), and in May 1999
I volunteered to create the website and maintain the archive which I am
still happy to do. At the time, however, I made it clear that I was no
legal expert, and I must admit that I do not find long debates about
the merits of various licenses exciting...

I do not have a huge amount of spare time at the moment, and am not
prepared personally to start constructing a Copyleft license, even with
the support of the FSF. However, if somebody else wants to discuss this
with the FSF/Richard Stallman and come up with a suitable license, I
will give them my every support. I'm certainly not against the concept
of having a Copyleft license on Mutopia - as long as I don't have to
use it for music that I enter!

Chris

--

Chris Sawer - address@hidden - Mutopia Maintainer