Re: Notes overlap and SCshape

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: Notes overlap and SCshape
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 21:41:07 -0500

> The question is what the collision handler should do in this
> situation. There are several options:
> - Shift the dotted note even further to the left
Only an option with my famous collision-solving zero tuplet bracket. :-)
> - Switch the two notes, so the dotted note is shifted to the
>   right instead.
The latter is the state-of-the-art way, except to use a tie instead of a
dot. That would be prettier, probably.
If it's a unison in a space, the dot is somewhat ironically assumed to
belong to the note with the longer time value. I don't know if that's in
any book, but it has been totally standard for a very long time. Two
c4's, tough.

> What is the proper solution when both colliding notes are dotted,
> should the dots be placed after the two notes?
Yes, and in a vertical line. If you have a unison in a space, one or
both of the dotted notes must be written by using a tie instead, or use
my famous collision-solving zero tuplet bracket. :-)