Re: Notes overlap and SCshape

From: Timothy S. Nelson
Subject: Re: Notes overlap and SCshape
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 16:49:52 +1100 (EST)

On Wed, 21 Mar 2001, Rune Zedeler wrote:

> Den 21-Mar-01 skrev Mats Bengtsson:
>
> MB> What is the proper solution when both colliding notes are dotted,
> MB> should the dots be placed after the two notes?
>
> When the two notes have the same length, they should share the head like this:

>  XX|
> XXXX  X
> |XX
> |

> And as far as I remember lily also does it that way...?
> (ofcourse a < c4. c4.. > would lead into trouble)

        Strangely enough, I've seen Rune's example for a quarter note and a
dotted quarter, which means that you have to look at the rest of the bar to
try and figure out what's going on.  Naturally it's not the solution I like
:).  I suppose it would be possible to place the dot a little higher for the
part with the stem up, and lower with the stem down; maybe something like:

------+-------
  XXXX|  X
 XXXXXX
 XXXXXX
 |XXXX   X  X

        (That's for a dotted quarter and a double dotted one).

        No doubt someone will  write in and say that this idea should never
have seen the light of day, but I thought that it was worth mentioning, as
it's what is done when the note is on a staff line instead of between them.

        :)

| Name: Tim Nelson                 | Because the Creator is,        |
| E-mail: address@hidden | I am                           |
Web: Temporarily unavailable